One of the moods of the Tsomorai lake

One of the moods of the Tsomorai lake
A souvenier from 'Ladakh'...

Friday, November 12, 2010

Jigm Tsewang- The Female Monk


     With her suave looks and gentility in her voice 'Jigme Tsewang' eluded my heart. Female monks in Ladakh are called 'Chomos' and lead a spirituality dedicated life just like any other nun from any other religion. As our car reached and honked at 'Nun'gompa's' gate, she was seen already heading towards us ,probably she must have noticed one lonely vehicle approaching from far away peek-abooing amidst the mountain passes. A smile that could capture admiration and an age which couldn't be hidden behind those sparkling pearl white teeth, this female monk was like an open book unread by may be any one I thought! She showed me around the sacred places of the monastery especially where they meditated, prayed and lived like independent souls though carefully guarded and directed by their respective seers or teachers.

 A cup of tea was soon brought by one another inmate of the Gompa who consicuously moved away as the camera peeked at her face. As Jigme began to go back to her history and answer my curious questions, her veracity to her own life left me amazed. She had been practising this religion and followed the path of a monk through the channels of virginity and self renunciation to reach to her meritorious goals with complete pristine transparency. Now that she had turned a mere thirty year old completely detached from her family and mother country Nepal, her thoughts and perspectives of a feminine life seemed transcending the realities that a woman has to actually undergo all through her effortful life. For truly her soul seemed going along well with her decisions unaffected by any material desires of body and mind. After a cuppa tea me however intended catching some few austere glances of 'Jigme' in my camera.  Petite and shy as she already seemed , Jigme displayed a crystal clear ignorance of my inviting actions for a photogenic snap of hers!  For a moment I thought of placing myself in her shoes ....and lo there my daughter cried from the car wanting all her mother's attention again !   The unspeaking echoes slowly faded away as I rushed to pick her up and introduce my little angel to this pious monk!

No comments:

Post a Comment